December 22, 2009

Soi Thong Lo seafood omelette

T had a job interview today, so J went by himself for some lunch. I headed to Thong Lo (Suk Soi 55) and spotted a place with an old laminated Thai newspaper clipping on the wall, right before the first 7-11 walking north on the west side of the road. I figured at some point some reviewer must have dug the place so I gave it a try. There was a guy standing in front of a round grill with little cups of fresh seafood, eggs and bean sprouts. Seems that they only served one thing, so I just said neung (one). 

Here's what I ate:

The eggs were really crispy and, even slightly crunchy on the outside, yet soft on the inside. The seafood was also retained its freshness, without being overcooked. The oysters were creamy, the shrimp was plump and tender, and I could cut the squid with the side of my spoon. While by itself the taste was little bland, with a few drops of fish sauce, a drizzle of sweet chili sauce, and ground peanuts, the dish was well balanced.

Verdict: J= Loved all the fresh seafood for the price point (THB60/Rmb12/USD2). Next time I would get it without the bean sprouts. I don't like bean sprouts.

On the way, back I decided I wanted a little after-lunch Thai sweet so I picked this up:

These balls tasted exactly like the Indian dessert Gulab Jamun. 

Verdict: J= I am not a big fan of the texture of the balls, which seemed to be made of a milk dough like the Indian version and the flavoring, simple syrup with a hint of rosewater, was way too sweet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment